Radioactive Mama

My Cancer Journey

11 days home… Wednesday, 14 Apr 10

Filed under: Uncategorized — radioactivemama @ 11:53 pm

Hello all!  I have been home for 11 days now and it has gone SO fast!  I got home Saturday night the day before Easter.  Josh picked me up around 6:30pm and we went and got Princess an Easter basket and stuff to fill it and then we went out to dinner.  It was so nice to be in a restaurant with my husband and feel somewhat normal.  I got really spicy food so that I would be able to taste it some.  Needless to say I didn’t enjoy the food as much as the company.

We got home around 9 or so.  My Mom was there waiting for us of course.  It was so good to see her and thank her in person for all she did for me and my family and to give her a gigantic hug.  Then I went in to see Princess. (Josh told her I was coming home and would come in and tell her goodnight.  I crawled up in her bed (its a twin bed) and stroked her hair and talked to her and gave her a kiss, but she never woke up.  It was so good to see her sleeping little body all curled up in her bed.  Of course I also peeked in on Bug, but made it quick so that she wouldn’t wake up.

The next morning I heard Princess’ bedroom door open, and when she came in to our room, I sat up and waved at her.  She let the cat in when she opened our door and Josh was saying, “No!” to Pumpkin (the cat.)  I don’t know if it was in reaction to that or if she was just so surprised to see me, but Princess just looked at me and then walked out.  I went out into the hall and she stood there and looked at me for a second.  Then I said, “who am I?” And she said, “Mommy…” and then got a big smile on her face and ran and gave me the biggest hug.  Then we sat on the couch and cuddled and talked and laughed and hugged.  It was wonderful!  When Bug woke up I went in and got her and at first she didn’t even look at me.  I started talking to her and laid her down to change her and she got the biggest ear-to-ear grin on her face.  It too was wonderful.

I spent a lot of time with the girls on Easter morning.  Then we all got ready and headed to church at The Summit.  It seemed like no one knew I was coming, so that was super exciting.  When I tapped my friend, Jill, on the shoulder and she turned around and saw it was me she looked REALLY excited and started looking for a way to get to me.  (She was 2 rows in front of me.” I was in a skirt but she was in capris, and promptly climbed over the row of seats to give me a giant hug.  I got similar, super excited, big hug reactions from all of my girls (women that are in my small group Bible study.)  It was a great day to be with my family – both my immediate family and my church family.

Princess said at home she didn’t want to go to children’s church, which was more than fine with us.  Then when we got there she said she did, but when I tried to take her she changed her mind again.  We took her in church with us and after about 10 minutes or so she said she was ready to go to children’s church.  I told her that if she went she needed to stay and she said she would.  Once we got over there she again wanted to leave.  I sat down on the floor with her for a few minutes and I told her, “I am not going anywhere.  I will just be in big church and as soon as it is over I will be right back to get you.”  That was all it took.  I went back to church and she was fine. 🙂

We went home and cooked Easter dinner – nothing complicated or involved, but still pretty yummy (or so my Mom and Josh said since I couldn’t taste much.)  Then we dyed Easter eggs and played all afternoon.  Princess found her Easter basket the Easter Bunny left her and we went outside and blew some super cool bubbles.  It was a great day!

The time since then has been a whirlwind… I will be happy to share more later, but at least this gets the details of my reunion and first day home out there.

We are so thankful for all of you, and Josh and I talk often about all the people who carried us through those two weeks.  I am so blessed to have you in my life, and so honored that you care enough to read my thoughts and walk this journey with me.  I will do my best to post at least once every other day or so, but can’t make any guarantees. 🙂

Good night!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s